Thursday, March 20, 2014

The One-Illustration-a-Month Challenge of 2013

From June 2011 to December 2012, I went on an art hiatus. I never consciously made that decision, and really only realized it had happened when I heard myself say: "Yeah, I used to draw a lot..."

So when I wrote my list of resolutions for 2013, I decided to add this challenge for good measure:


To heighten my chances of succeeding, I posted this picture on Facebook. I was curious to see if posting my list for all my friends to see would motivate me to complete at least one resolution... and it did! In the end, I completed five resolutions, one of which being the one-illustration-a-month challenge. And now, without further ado, the twelve illustrations I made in 2013:

JANUARY

A combination of a picture of Jimmy Kimmel as a ballerina and a poster for the then upcoming show Banshee (which can be found here). Both of these images were in the January issue of Rolling Stone.

FEBRUARY

A self portrait in watercolour and ink.

 MARCH

A duck-puppy.

 APRIL

A black-capped chickadee making one of his trademark calls, which sounds suspiciously like "cheeseburger".

MAY

A friend requested a batapus (bat/duckbill platypus) and I happily obliged. 

JUNE

My boyfriend and myself in Calvin and Hobbes style.

JULY

A zombie cupcake
AUGUST

At this point I wanted to add a bit of red to my growing collection of illustrations. Joan Harris from Mad Men seemed like an appropriate choice. 

SEPTEMBER 

Second part of my Mad Men triptych: Peggy Olson.

OCTOBER

Third part of my Mad Men triptych: Betty Draper Francis. 

NOVEMBER

Yoshi in watercolour and ink.

DECEMBER

A quick painting of one of my favourite Christmas specials: How the Grinch Stole Christmas
And thus ends this blog post... Judging by the previous gap in my blog posts, I advise you not to expect anything until March 2017. See you then!










No comments:

Post a Comment